NERC COMPLIANCE AND STANDARDS PREPARATION
The North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) is a not-for-profit international regulatory authority whose mission is to assure the reliability and security of the bulk power system in North America. NERC develops and enforces Reliability Standards; annually assesses seasonal and long‐term reliability; monitors the bulk power system through system awareness; and educates, trains, and certifies industry personnel.
NERC’s area of responsibility spans the continental United States, Canada, and the northern portion of Baja California, Mexico. NERC is the electric reliability organization for North America, subject to oversight by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and governmental authorities in Canada. NERC’s jurisdiction includes users, owners, and operators of the bulk power system, which serves more than 334 million people. *
Below is a excerpt from NERC Standard TOP-003-1, which on numerous occasions, mentions the importance of proper documentation.
Section B. Requirements and Measures
M1. “Each Transmission Operator shall have and provide evidence which may include but is not limited to dated operator logs, dated records, dated and time-stamped voice recordings or dated transcripts of voice recordings, electronic communications, or equivalent documentation, that will be used to determine that it acted to maintain the reliability of its Transmission Operator Area via its own actions or by issuing Operating Instructions.”
Section B. M2. “Each Balancing Authority shall have and provide evidence which may include but is not limited to dated operator logs, dated records, dated and time-stamped voice recordings or dated transcripts of voice recordings, electronic communications, or equivalent documentation, that will be used to determine that it acted to maintain the reliability of its Balancing Authority Area via its own actions or by issuing Operating Instructions.”
M3. “Each Balancing Authority, Generator Operator, and Distribution Provider shall make available upon request, evidence that it complied with each Operating Instruction issued by the Transmission Operator(s) unless such action could not be physically implemented or it would have violated safety, equipment, regulatory, or statutory requirements. Such evidence could include but is not limited to dated operator logs, voice recordings or transcripts of voice recordings, electronic communications, or other equivalent evidence in electronic or hard copy format…”
Operations are moving to electronic formats to better manage and store operational log data. Systems like LogBook are routinely backed up and secure. The data(evidence) is there when you need it, providing peace of mind and confidence in the case of an audit or inquery.
Each day records must be kept by each operation across the country to adhere to NERC regulations and compliance. This practice not only keep the plants and operations running safe but also helps to ensure that the grid remains reliable and power is available for the millions that depend on it.
Keeping these records can be a chore when the right system is not in place. LogBook helps you with your NERC compliance by keeping your logs neat and tidy. LogBook was created to make data collection and storage simple secure and effective. We help you avoid uneccesary and costly fines by staying organized and prepared.
- Easy to Implement
- Easy to Use
- Powerful Database
- Cost Effective
FEATURES THAT MATTER
- In the event of an inspection or audit, LogBook keeps you safe with Audit Trails. All data is securely and neatly kept so you can easily search for the records you need at any time.
- LogBook was designed from the start to be mobile aware. It works great with smart phones, tablets or desktop environments. Its simple, intuitive dashboard was designed for rapid implementation and ease of training.
- Tag items of importance to make finding and organizing even easier.
- Templates provide continuity and help streamline the data capture process.
- Set simple one-time and recurring reminders to ensure that shift operators are made aware, at the appropriate time, of tasks and events that affect the operation on their watch.
- Mark notes for turnover when the oncoming shift needs to be made aware of actions to be taken or safety concerns
- Add attachments to notes to bring clarity and situational awaremess.
- Easily find and export log content for archive, charting or to submit for audit inquiries.
- Bring attention and emphasis with color and highlighting to entries with Rich Note Content.
- Custom integration is available to automatically log your information.
- Our optional OPC Relay Module can be used to automatically route selected alarms and events from your OPC servers or control systems directly into your logs.
- Our Native mobile app allows you to capture data offline on any mobile device and then sync to LogBook once connection is available.
If you or someone you know needs help with becoming more organized and prepared for NERC compliance, let us help. LogBook is an sure way to the road to efficiency.
* Content from the NERC official website. Learn more about NERC, it’s impact and initiatives at www.nerc.com.